2014 420 World And Ladies World Championships
Published: Tuesday, 05 August 2014
It was a waiting game on Sunday’s final day of racing at the 2014 420 World and Ladies World Championships as teams waited for the call to race. But an early morning thunderstorm and torrential rain, followed by virtually no wind gave no chance of racing on Sunday’s final race day.
Ten races in total for the 2014 420 Worlds, six in the qualification and four in the finals, delivered a rounded championship, with a range of weather conditions testing all 390 sailors. The talent pool was amazing, with different winners in virtually every race. This year’s championship reflected the ongoing growth in the 420 class with 27 nations from six continents competing across the 111-boat 420 Open and 84-boat 420 Ladies Fleets.
In the 420 Ladies, the gold medal and 420 Ladies World Championship title goes to Carlotta Omari/Francesca Russo Cirillo of Italy who were presented with gold medals and the International 420 Ladies World Championship Challenge Cup.
The John Merricks Trophy and 2014 420 Ladies Junior World Championship gold medals were presented to Kimberly Lim/Savannah Siew from Singapore who were the highest placed team aged 18 and under in the year of the championship.
“We came here with the aim of a podium and with a silver from last year, the pressure was on us,” says Lim. “This performance was quite good and we sailed the event pretty well, although the last day was a bit messy, it went as well as it could.”
Next stop for the pair is the 2014 Asian Games held in late September in Incheon, Korea where they will compete in the 420 Class.
Ladies – Top 10 Overall after 10 Races
1. Carlotta Omari/Francesca Russo Cirillo (ITA) – 40 pts
2. Kimberly Lim/Savannah Siew (SIN) – 45 pts
3. Aikaterini Tavoulari/Fotini Koutsoumpou (GRE) – 47 pts
4. Elena Picotti/Maria Coluzzi (ITA) – 59 pts
5. Souzana Bakatsia/Nikoletta Papageorgiou (GRE) – 61 pts
6. Nuraisyah Jamil/Umi Nurwahida Sallehuddin (MAS) – 66 pts
7. Paula Barcelo/Margarita Alba (ESP) – 70 pts
8. Silvia Mas/Marta Davila (ESP) - 74 pts
9. Carmen Davila/Julia Davila (ESP) – 75 pts
10. Clara Addari/Arianna Perini (ITA) – 83 pts
In the 420 Open the gold went to Jose Manuel Ruiz/Fernando Davila of Spain who dominated the championship from day three.
420 Open – Top 10 Overall after 10 Races
1. Jose Manuel Ruiz/Fernando Davila (ESP) – 69 pts
2. Hippolyte Macheti/Sidoine Dantes (FRA) – 72 pts
3. Ido Bilik/Ofek Shalgi (ISR) – 73 pts
4. Robin Folin/Tao Manni (FRA) – 79.7 pts
5. Muhamad Faizal Norizan/Ahmad Syuki Abdul Aziz (MAS) – 82 pts
6. Adrian Dominguez/Calixto Abalo (ESP) – 85 pts
7. Jia Yi Loh/Jonathan Yeo (SIN) – 90 pts
8. Nital Hasson/Yoav Shpliman (ISR) – 99 pts
9. Santiago Mas/Luis Mas (ESP) – 122 pts
10. Swann Hayewski/Alexis Thomas (FRA) – 126 pts
The 2014 420 World Championships came to a celebratory end with the Closing Ceremony on the beach and national teams gathered on what turned into a warm, clear evening.
The 2015 420 World and Ladies World Championships will be held in Japan.