Sanlorenzo Unveils Ultra Silent Motoryacht SL 106-Hybrid
Published: Monday, 20 June 2016
Italian yacht builder Sanlorenzo unveiled at Sanlorenzo Elite Days (May 7-8) the motoryacht SL 106-Hybrid with a new propulsion system developed by the company with Diesel Centre and MTU.
(Photos: Sanlorenzo - SL 106-Hybrid)
The propulsion system reduces fuel consumption, carbon footprint, noise and fluctuations and significantly improves on-board comfort both at sea and at anchor.
During the Sanlorenzo Elite Days, visitors were able to experience how comfortable and quiet this yacht is as well as meeting her delighted Owner on board during a sea trial.
“Excellence is written in Sanlorenzo’s DNA and the authentic interaction with our ship Owners inspired us to develop the right hybrid solution according to Sanlorenzo efficiency, comfort and quality values,” says Sanlorenzo SPA President Massimo Perotti. “Our efforts on innovation and the strategic partnership with MTU and Diesel Center lead to the best solution for our ship-Owners and there was no better occasion to unveil the exclusive SL106 Hybrid Yacht than Elite Days. Today we are proud to show SL106 Hybrid yacht as the first of its class with no equal in terms of size, performance and comfort.”
The Sanlorenzo-Hybrid system has 5 operation modes:
• Diesel-electric propulsion: particularly silent up to 9.5 knots.
• Zero Emission Hotel Mode: no internal combustion engine is required to operate all on board systems while at anchor.
• Shaft alternator power generation: the economical navigation mode, with a single main diesel engine turned on. The two propellers can be powered and generate enough electricity for the entire yacht.
• Traditional direct diesel engine propulsion: ensures simplicity and reliability of traditional transmission and guarantees at the same time the traditional fast cruise speed performances of the Yacht.
• Booster power mode: maximum performance, top speed increased up to 1.5 knots and faster acceleration using Electrical & Diesel power together.
This new technology is incorporated into the yacht with no impact on available cabin space due to the high-density power electric generating system provided by lithium-ion batteries. These batteries are capable of operating the energy demand of the yacht for over six hours with zero emission, even with most of the on-board equipment working.
Meanwhile, the first Sanlorenzo 46Steel superyacht has arrived in Hong Kong. She is a five-deck displacement hull with a semi-wide body and high tensile steel hull and 5083 aluminium superstructure. Her layout is inspired by the interior of larger superyachts to ensure onboard spaciousness and avoid any compromise in terms of comfort. She can accommodate 10 guests as well as nine crew and reach a maximum of 17 knots.