ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN: IDFF returns with strong line up of speakers
Published: Friday, 11 August 2017
The International Design. Furniture Fair Hong Kong (IDFF2017), a boutique design event, will return for the second time with presentations and a series of talks by internationally and locally renowned designers and architects in the theme of ‘Redefining Luxury’. It will be held at Hall 3E of the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre (HKCEC) from August 25-27.
(Photos: IDFF - some of the speakers in IDFF2017)
The event will partner with design fair IMM Cologne for the first time, bring together three sections: Dialogue Speakers Series, Gallery Showcases and Design Exhibitions.
The three-day Dialogue Speakers Series boasts 21 talks by acclaimed architects and designers:
- Aric Chen, Lead Curator for Design and Architecture at M+
- Alan Chan, Designer, Brand Consultant and Artist, Founder of Alan Chan Design Company
- William Lim, Founder and Managing Director of CL3 Architects
- Steve Leung, Founder of SLD
- Chris Godfrey, Principal of HBA Residential
- Inge Goudsmit, Associate Architect at OMA*AMO Asia
- Michael Ng, Partner of Foster + Partners
- Dick Spierenburg, Creative Director of IMM Cologne
- Simon Yu, Project Director and Senior Associate at Zaha Hadid Architects
- Kinney Chan, Founder of Kinney Chan and Associates
- Elena Collins, Senior Interior Designer at Purcell
- David Hoggard, Partner of PDP London Architects
- Stefan Krummeck, Director of Farrells
- Tino Kwan, Lighting designer, Founder of TinoKwan Lighting Consultants Ltd.
- Anderson Lee, Sounder of Index Architecture Limited, Vice President of AIA Hong Kong Chapter, Faculty of Architecture at HKU
- Patrick Leung, Founder and Principal Design of P A L Design Group
- Kevin Lim, Managing Director and Founder Partner of openUU
- Otto Ng, Design Director of LAAB
- Andy Rifkin, Chief Technology Officer of Hanson Robotics
- Trevor Vivian, Global Director of Benoy
- Delphine Yip, Chairman and Chief Design Officer of naked Group
These speakers will cover a wide range of topics including ‘Asia’s Missing Link: Museums and Design Narratives’, ‘the Luxury of Heritage’, ‘Design Our Urban Future: How can Hong Kong grow sustainably’, among others.
(Zaha Hadid Design’s ‘City of Towers’)
Design Exhibition will showcase five presentations:
- Zaha Hadid Design’s ‘City of Towers’, an installation featuring the parametric research led by Zaha Hadid Architects, exploring new concepts for designing and constructing high-rise buildings
- Award-winning architect William Lim’s debut Das Haus Asia’s ‘18m2’, a living capsule with a floor area of 18sqm with two bedrooms, a kitchen and a bedroom, aiming to inspire creative solutions to Hong Kong’s housing issues;
- Alan Chan’s ‘Mr Chan Tea Room’, in which exhibits dark walnut wood handcrafted furniture and black steel tea ware
- ‘On Reading Single Family House 1.5: A Tale of Habitation in Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan’ from AIA HK Chapter President Anderson Lee, showcasing individual family houses designed in the three places.
- ‘10cc’ by Patrick Leung, Founder and Principal Designer of PAL Design Group, presenting 10 pieces by 10 Hong Kong designers with their personal insights into daily lives.
Gallery Showcases will display pieces from luxury and lifestyle brands including Alno, Arissto Diamond, Baccarat, Everything Under the Sun, Knoll, Living Station by Panasonic, Saint-Louis, Serip, Seventhirtyam, Steve Leung Collection and Swarovski.
(Das Haus Asia)
Winne Yue, IDFFHK Director, said: “Placing strong emphasis on the advocacy for design appreciation, IDFF2017 offers a platform for cultural and creative exchanges – it is exciting to join forces with our local and overseas talents, as well as rising to new heights with our debut partnership with the world’s leading international design fair IMM Cologne in Asia.
Dick Spierenburg, Creative Director of IMM Cologne, said: “IDFFHK is the destination in Asia to experience luxury in design, as well as explore the latest trends and design developments from some of Europe’s leading interior design brands. The Hong Kong design show is the perfect platform for optima exposure and creative synergies, bringing the leading lights of the Asian design scene and dealers flocking to Hong Kong. We look forward to expanding our development with IDFFHK in the future.”
Tickets are available at www.hkticketing.com.